Skip to main content

Little Village

Raining in the forest ...



As soon as this song starts, I start to smile because I know what's coming.

Magic.

A dash of plucked strings, a turn of phrase and Van just turning it on, transforming a lovely song into something so much more.  I have no idea how it happens. It just does. The song shuffles into consciousness with Van urging us to get "away from the city" to where you can hear the "voice of the silence." As soon as that hits you know it could be in the air. 

Van is in some kind of declarative mood and the hints are there, silence, truth, bells, voices singing but lulled as we are by the soft strings and mandolin it isn't until deep into the song when it is "Raining in the forest just enough to magnetise the leaves" that the magic comes down.  I can't explain what happens, a combination of the plucked strings echoing the raindrops as they fall and Van opening up with that voice of his, I don't understand. 

I might not understand but I do know. 

Magic. 



Little Village baby, ain't large enough to be a town
From a little village baby ain't large enough to be a town
Gotta get away from the city it's gonna bring you down

Heard the voice of the silence, in the evening
In the long cool summer nights
Heard the voice of the silence, in the evening
In the long cool summer nights
Telling me not to worry, everything's gonna be alright

There's only two kinds of truth
Baby let's get it straight from the start
There's only two kinds of truth
Let's get it straight from the start
It's all what you believe
Baby in your head and your heart

Heard the bells ringing
Voices singing, soft and low
Heard the bells ringing,
Voices are singing soft and low
Way up in the mountain, little village in the snow

Raining in the forest just enough to magnetise the leaves
Raining in the forest just enough to magnetise the leaves
We'll go walking in the moonlight shining down through the trees

Little village, way up on the mountainside
Little village baby, way up on the mountainside
Way across the ocean with you by my side

A quite extraordinary live version. Luxuriate in this.


Just enough to magnetise the leaves ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tupelo Honey

She's alright with me  ... Delicate, passionate and precise.  Organ, flute, and guitar.  Van in control, open throated and open hearted.  The bee, not a bee.  THE bee. Mr Connie Hay on the drums alone.  Ow!  Listen to the man play.  A monumental classic. Wave after wave.  Peak after peak.  She's an angel ...

Dweller On The Threshold

Let me go down to the water ... This song resonated with me the first time I heard it as a young man on the first disc of the original Greatest Hits. It gave voice to the feeling that there was so much 'more' and if I could only make a breakthrough, take a step over some 'threshold' then things would fall into place, make some kind of sense.  The remarkable thing about this song, propelled along as it is by the tsking of the high-hat and those insistent horns, is that it still resonates to this day even now when I am so much older. It still feels like I'm on a threshold, possibly we're always and eternally on a threshold. The darkness still exists to be consumed and I'm still waiting for the dawn to end the night. Singing the song of ages until it comes.  I'm a dweller on the threshold And I'm waiting at the door And I'm standing in the darkness I don't want to wait no more I have seen without perceiving I hav

Thanks For The Information

Every time I take two steps forward ... Sarcastic, exasperated, down right pissed off. Van turns it into an atmospheric classic.  And if you liked the original, the guitar heavy Neil Young infused live version from 2013 is utterly spectacular. I end up having to take three back ...