Skip to main content

Alan Watts Blues

Out of everything nothing remains the same ...



Van's off to the mountain top getting away from the rat race to be still and listen to his 'quiet friend.'  It's a withdrawal from the world and its cycle of constant repetitive change to be with the unchanging eternal. There the blue skies will be 'shining' while the earthly empires turn to rust again.

Prior to going he doesn't seem convinced, only thinking it 'might do ... some good." Post instrumental break, the experience itself was clearly meaningful as it won't be long before he comes back again. I always find this song tremendously uplifting with an almost cleansing quality to it as well as a little touch of calypso, of course that may just be me. See you in the clouds.




Well I'm taking some time with my quiet friend
Well I'm taking some time on my own
Well I'm making some plans for my getaway
There'll be blue skies shining up above

When I'm cloud hidden
Cloud hidden
Whereabouts unknown

Well I've got to get out of the rat race now
I'm tired of the ways of mice and men
And the empires all turning into rust again
Out of everything nothing remains the same
That's why I'm cloud hidden
Cloud hidden
Whereabouts unknown

Sitting up on the mountain top in my solitude
Where the morning fog comes rolling in
Just might do me some good

Well I'm waiting in the clearing with my motor on
Well it's time to get back to the town again
Where the air is sweet and fresh in the countryside
Well it won't be long before I'll be back here again

When I'm cloud hidden
Cloud hidden
Whereabouts unknown




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tupelo Honey

She's alright with me  ... Delicate, passionate and precise.  Organ, flute, and guitar.  Van in control, open throated and open hearted.  The bee, not a bee.  THE bee. Mr Connie Hay on the drums alone.  Ow!  Listen to the man play.  A monumental classic. Wave after wave.  Peak after peak.  She's an angel ...

Dweller On The Threshold

Let me go down to the water ... This song resonated with me the first time I heard it as a young man on the first disc of the original Greatest Hits. It gave voice to the feeling that there was so much 'more' and if I could only make a breakthrough, take a step over some 'threshold' then things would fall into place, make some kind of sense.  The remarkable thing about this song, propelled along as it is by the tsking of the high-hat and those insistent horns, is that it still resonates to this day even now when I am so much older. It still feels like I'm on a threshold, possibly we're always and eternally on a threshold. The darkness still exists to be consumed and I'm still waiting for the dawn to end the night. Singing the song of ages until it comes.  I'm a dweller on the threshold And I'm waiting at the door And I'm standing in the darkness I don't want to wait no more I have seen without perceiving I hav

Thanks For The Information

Every time I take two steps forward ... Sarcastic, exasperated, down right pissed off. Van turns it into an atmospheric classic.  And if you liked the original, the guitar heavy Neil Young infused live version from 2013 is utterly spectacular. I end up having to take three back ...