Skip to main content

Dweller On The Threshold

Let me go down to the water ...


This song resonated with me the first time I heard it as a young man on the first disc of the original Greatest Hits. It gave voice to the feeling that there was so much 'more' and if I could only make a breakthrough, take a step over some 'threshold' then things would fall into place, make some kind of sense. 

The remarkable thing about this song, propelled along as it is by the tsking of the high-hat and those insistent horns, is that it still resonates to this day even now when I am so much older. It still feels like I'm on a threshold, possibly we're always and eternally on a threshold. The darkness still exists to be consumed and I'm still waiting for the dawn to end the night. Singing the song of ages until it comes. 


I'm a dweller on the threshold
And I'm waiting at the door
And I'm standing in the darkness
I don't want to wait no more

I have seen without perceiving
I have been another man
Let me pierce the realm of glamour
So I know just who I am

I'm a dweller on the threshold
And I'm waiting at the door
And I'm standing in the darkness
I don't want to wait no more

Feel the angel of the presence
In the mighty crystal fire
Lift me up consume my darkness
Let me travel even higher

I'm a dweller on the threshold
As I cross the burning ground
Let me go down to the water
Watch the great illusion drown

I'm a dweller on the threshold
And I'm waiting at the door
And I'm standing in the darkness
I don't want to wait no more

I'm gonna turn and face the music
The music of the spheres
Lift me up consume my darkness
When the midnight disappears

I will walk out of the darkness
And I'll walk into the light
And I'll sing the song of ages
And the dawn will end the night

I'm a dweller on the threshold
And I'm waiting at the door
And I'm standing in the darkness
I don't want to wait no more

I'm a dweller on the threshold
And I cross some burning ground
And I'll  go down to the water
Watch the great illusion drown

I'm a dweller on the threshold


And I'll walk into the light ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burning Ground

Dump the jute ... The struggle to dump the burdens we carry, the crosses we bear, to pare back the layers of aggregated defences and habits, to reveal our true selves, a hard and painful journey through the burning ground. Purification. Van and the band turned this into meditative revelation live.   Witness And I lift the veil ...

Ancient Highway

"Shining like diamonds in the night ..." I'm not sure there is another song in Van's entire canon that allows such insight into his world as this one.  When he says that his music contains the answers to the questions journalists ask him they could do worse than start here. Solitude and separation.  The fight against the ego.  The untrustworthiness of those who claim friendship.  The struggle between rationalism and the sensual world. A desire for escape and obscurity.  There's a small cafe on the outskirts of town I'll be there when the sun goes down Where the roadside bends And it twists and turns Every new generation And I'll be praying to my higher self Don't let me down, keep my feet on the ground There's a roadside jam playin' on the edge of town In a town called Paradise near the ancient highway When the train whistle blows All the sadness that Hank Williams knows And the river flows Call them pag...

Behind The Ritual

Like a whirling dervish ... A wonderful, circular, meditative song concerning function not form.  The song itself exemplifies the meaning of the track. Never more clearly than in the famous "blah, blah, blah ..." section, devoid of form there is only the function of the sound.  Elevation. Layer upon layer.  Round and round. Like a whirling dervish. You'll find the spiritual ... Stretching time ...